D-S boys capture Logan-Magnolia title
The Denison-Schleswig boys opened their 2010 cross country season on Tuesday by claiming the team championship at the Logan-Magnolia Invitational.
D-S finished with 55 points, as the Monarchs edged second-place Council Abraham Lincoln by just one point for the team title.
Maple Valley/Anthon-Oto wound up a distant third for the boys with 89 points.
On the girls’ side, D-S netted 141 points for fifth place in the final team standings.
Tri-Center earned the team title with 53 points, while Underwood placed second with 87 points.
According to Denison-Schleswig coach Justin Brincks, Tuesday’s team title was the first for a boys team from Denison High School since 2004.
Junior Blake Miller and senior Cody Bremser led the way, placing fourth and fifth, respectively, in a race that included 109 competitors.
Miller turned in a time of 18 minutes, 28 seconds, while Bremser finished 13 seconds back in 18:41.
Senior Ryan Petersen just missed a top-10 finish, placing 11th overall in 19:19. Sophomore Calvin Snitker finished 16th in 19:47, while senior Dacotah Hamilton came in 21st in 20:00.
Aaron Roberts of Audubon won the individual title in 17:26.
“There are several factors that have contributed to this success,” remarked Brincks in reference to the boys’ team title.
“The first is a more serious approach toward the season than the team has had in some time. The next is that several of the top runners trained in the offseason,” he added.
“The team is also becoming more cohesive than had been observed during the past five seasons. With the congratulations given, it’s also important to remain humble,” Brincks said.
“This is only a start, only one meet. Good teams win more than one meet. Great teams win meets in the latter part of October,” the Monarch boss stated.
The D-S girls, on a hot and humid day, were led by three sophomores in Bianca Pizano, Kristin Marten and Alyssa Rihner.
Junior and two-time state qualifier Alexa Beeck did not compete on Tuesday, as she continues to mend a hip injury.
Pizano placed 18th overall out of 93 runners in a time of 18:19.
Marten ran 24th in 18:48, while Rihner finished 33rd in 19:13.
The individual title went to Audubon’s Megan Deist in 16:11.
Freshman Taylor Teut finished 34th in 19:17, and sophomore Kaylee Malasek wound up 47th in 19:55.
“On a hot day we got burned. All of the times were slower than usual as a result,” said Brincks.
“However, we started a little too aggressively for our level of training and for the conditions. Midway through the race the girls faded and were passed by others who had conserved energy earlier.”
“This team is strong and has great promise, but tonight was just not our day. We’ll learn and grow from this experience and will be ready for Saturday’s meet at Council Bluffs,” Brincks stated.
Other D-S results
41. Ben Weber, 21:12; 63. Ayri Limon, 22:52; 68. Kevin Rihner, 23:19; 70. Raphael Ayala, 23:21; 72. Ben Claypool, 23:26; 86. Justin Myers, 25:29; 87. Riley Sondag, 25:48; 90. Phillip Keairnes, 26:01; 101. Junior Jaime, 27:24; 102. Erick Klix, 28:21; 105. Austin Lansink, 29:21
50. Kristin Ploeger, 20:10; 53. Sarah Messenbrink, 20:30; 55. Courtney Reiser, 20:37; 56. Bailey Dammen, 20:38; 59. Maloree Gaspers, 20:43; 63. Elizabeth Perez, 21:19; 64. Emily Blum, 21:24; 74. Raelyn Gustafson, 22:38; 77. Sierra Pauley, 23:25; 89. Emma Lally, 27:08; 92. Katharina Wigg, 30:04; 93. Lise Hemeryck, 30:04
22. Taytum Winans, 15:29; 23. Angel Holt, 15:35; 31. Hannah Brus, 18:10
2. Josef Rogers, 11:50.
Final Team Standings
1. Denison-Schleswig 55; 2. C.B. Abraham Lincoln 56; 3. Maple Valley/A-O 89; 4. Odebolt-Arthur/BC-IG 105; 5. Tri-Center 146; 6. Logan-Magnolia 151; 7. Boyer Valley 163; 8. Missouri Valley 187; 9. Audubon 199; 10. Underwood 236
1. Tri-Center 53; 2. Underwood 87; 3. Missouri Valley 93; 4. IKM-Manning 118; 5. Denison-Schleswig 141; 6. Audubon 156; 7. Odebolt-Arthur/BC-IG 156; 8. Maple Valley/A-O 159; 9. C.B. Abraham Lincoln 200; 10. Boyer Valley 258; 11. Ar-We-Va 277